Repairing a part instead of replacing it is one of the best ways to reduce the cost of car ownership. Do you have a broken side mirror cover on your Volvo? If so, you may be wondering if you could repair it instead of replacing the entire assembly. In this situation, you have three options:
- Repairing the side mirror cover
- Replacing the side mirror cover
- Replacing the entire side mirror assembly
We’ll explore each option in this guide. When you’re done with this guide, you’ll have all the information you need to make a decision with confidence.
First Things First: Does The Rest Of The Side Mirror Assembly Work?
Image Credit: Peppermint
Before taking the time to explore your side mirror cover repair options, you want to see if the rest of the assembly works. If your side mirror’s inner mechanisms no longer work, then you’ll have to replace the entire assembly. A broken side mirror cover will expose the inner workings to the weather. In some cases, moisture and dirt can get in and damage the parts inside the assembly.
Take these steps to see if the rest of your side mirror assembly is in good working order:
- With both hands, gently rock the side mirror assembly back and forth, and up and down.
- If the assembly feels loose, tighten the bolt(s) holding it in place. If it's still loose, then you probably have to replace it.
- If you have a manual side mirror, move only the glass mirror in all directions with your thumbs. Is the mirror moving the way it should be?
- If your answer is yes, then the side mirror assembly is likely OK.
- If your answer is no, then the glass may be too loose or too seized to work right.
- If you have powered side mirrors, move your mirror in all directions. You can do this with the controls at the driver's seat. Is the mirror responding properly?
- If the mirror is responding the way it should be, then the inner mechanisms seem OK.
- If the mirror isn't responding the way it should be, then you would need to replace the entire assembly.
If the side mirror's inner mechanisms are in good shape, you can look into either repairing or replacing the cover.
Can I Repair The Side Mirror Cover?
The answer is yes. You can repair the side mirror cover without having to replace it. It depends on the severity of the damage. This may be a good solution if you have a small crack or hole on your cover. If the damage is bigger than that, then you would be better off replacing the cover.
With that said, a repaired side mirror cover likely won't look good. Also, the repair may not hold up over time. This is especially true if you don't have any experience repairing side mirror covers.
Repairing a mirror cover takes some time and effort. First, you would have to get a Bondo kit or a glue kit that's made for cracks. You would have to remove the cover, do a lot of sanding, apply the Bondo or glue kit, do more sanding, and then paint the cover to match your car's body color.
It's a time-consuming process that may not even work out in terms of appearance or longevity. To play it safe, you may want to replace just the side mirror cover.
Can I Replace Just The Side Mirror Cover?
Yes, you can replace only the side mirror cover. We offer genuine OEM Volvo side mirror covers at rock bottom prices. Replacing the cover is much easier than repairing one. But you still may need to paint the new cover to match your car's body color.
If you decide to go this route, you'll get instructions with your replacement side mirror cover. You can also find instructions online.
Here's a general overview of replacing the side mirror cover on a Volvo S40:
- Squeeze your fingers on the bottom of the side mirror cover and then pop it loose. Be careful not to damage anything.
- Pull off the old side mirror cover.
- Pop the new side mirror cover in place.
It's a pretty easy and straightforward process.
Can I Replace The Entire Side Mirror Assembly Without Breaking The Bank?
A lot of Volvo owners consider replacing the entire assembly to be the last resort. This solution is necessary when more than just the cover is broken. If you're in this situation, you may be worried about how much a replacement may cost you. If you buy it locally, a side mirror assembly can cost as much as $600.
But, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to replace your side mirror assembly. You can get one from us at a great price. We carry genuine OEM Volvo side mirror assemblies at discounted prices. Check out our catalog here to see what we have to offer!